Since the beginning of CeRCCa´s Residency Program in 2009 our aim has been to facilitate and develop research and creative projects that reflect upon and interact with the local community. During these 5 years more than 70 artists and researchers have been selected to be part of CeRCCa. Through the residency and the collaboration with the local community they have developed projects in different disciplines ranging from video, photography and performance to street art, creative workshops and interventions in the public space. To celebrate all these projects and as a homage to the artists, researchers and all the people and organizations that have collaborated with CeRCCa the ‘5th CeRCCa Anniversary Publication’ will be launched in summer 2014.
After the evaluation of the first five years of CeRCCa and thanks to many conversations with other professionals and previous residents we are happy to announce the new venture of CeRCCa. This new venture will be developed through the restructuring of CeRCCa’s artists and researchers residencies.
The New Artists and Researchers Residency Project will be structured as follows
- The main feature of the new strategy will be to promote exchange and reflection with no obligation of producing a concrete body of work or having a final exhibition. In a time where artists and researchers are under pressure to produce and justify the validity of their professions with tangible outcomes we strongly believe that to have time for dialogue and experimentation is much needed. We believe that the perfect framework to do so is to spent time and work together through the artist in residency methodology.
- We believe that the new residency format will be a time for you to work in your own development as well as building up your professional career through networking and knowledge sharing. CeRCCa will help on that process facilitating contacts and visits in accordance to your interests. In order to facilitate networking and knowledge sharing CeRCCa offers an apartment in Barcelona so to have time to meet, promote your work and learn from other professionals and organizations. The fee for 1 night accommodation in CeRCCa’s apartment in Barcelona is 20E and the maximum stay is 1 night a week. Alternative overnight accommodation can be also arranged.
- The new residency format will be structured through stays of minimum 15 days that can be extended in periods of 15 days (1, 1.5, 2 … months) always starting and ending on the 1st or 15th of each month (those have to be the dates of arrival and departure). For 2014 the time span of the residency period can go from the 1st July to the 1st November.
- CeRCCa will facilitate accessibility to our program with a reduced artists fee. The artist fee for 15 days residency is 250E and 500E for 1 month. The artist fee includes single room with double bed, shared 40 sq studio with 1 more artist or researcher, running costs as well as advice, resources and networking information and contacts.
The selection of applications will be done every 2 months by the coordinators of CeRCCa.
- For residencies of 2 months or longer and if the artist or researcher is interested, CeRCCa will consider organizing an exhibition or public presentation at the end of the residency period. To ensure the best curatorial strategy and optimize the exhibition or public presentation a committee of experts will consider the candidate’s application and exhibition proposal. The same process goes for talks, workshops and other events. Priority will be given to site-specific projects of any discipline and format.
In parallel and complementing CeRCCa New Artists and Researchers Residency, CeRCCa is engaged in different Curatorial and Research Projects. For the coming three years these projects are
- Storyweavers. Theory and Practice of Digital Story Telling in collaboration with organizations from Ljubljana, Copenhagen and Alexandria.
- North Africa Cultural Mobility Map in collaboration with organizations from Amsterdam, Alexandria and Tetuan. www.nacmm.wordpress.com
- Practice Based PhD in Curating in collaboration with organizations from Ljubljana, Zagreb, Helsinki, Vienna, Venice and Izmir.
If you are interested in knowing more about the different Research and Curatorial Projects you can check our website www.cercca.com orcontact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply for CeRCCa New Artists and Researchers Residency Project please fill in and send us the attached application form.
We are looking forwards to hear from you soon.